SAVE MONEY

SAVE MONEY
SAVE MONEY

Make money

Make money
MAKE MONEY

BUDGETING

BUDGETING
BUDGETING

How I Saved £1000 In One Month


As some of you may already know, I'm hoping to save enough for a deposit on a new build house in three to five years time and in order to do that I decided to open a Help To Buy ISA. Upon opening the account you're allowed to transfer an additional £1200 to get started and then a minimum of £200 each month from then on to get the £50 top up from the government each month. A couple of months ago I had no savings what-so-ever, zero! I've never been one to save unless I really put my mind to it and usually just live pay check to pay check. However, that's all about to change as I am really determined to save up that deposit! 

Here's how I managed to save £1000 in just one month!

1. Sold unused items 

I had a huge clear out a few months ago and put together a pile of items which I could sell across the month. I then listed some on eBay and others on a local Facebook selling site. I made £300 from this which is great as I still have some more bits and bobs around the house to sell over the next few months to add to my savings.

2. I used cashback sites

I've had a few insurance policies to renew over the last few months so I went though Quidco to earn cashback on these and the cashback happened to track recently so I then withdrew what I had earned and put it straight into my savings. 

3.  Stopped going out

I don't go on nights out these days but I do end up spending a lot of money when we do go out during the day so I stopped going into town or to the supermarket just for the sake of it. This wasn't easy as I love spending money and if I see something I like I buy it, so I had to restrict myself. By not going out, it meant I wasn't tempted to buy stuff I didn't really need. 

4. Ate packed lunches

I work from home but also have a part time job two days a week, I used to buy lunch from the supermarket on the way in costing around £5 each day but now I make a sandwich at home which is much cheaper and I save £10 a week. I also have a sandwich at home now when we're not out for the day instead of popping to Macdonald's or costa like I would do previously so I've saved around £50 a week by eating lunch at home instead of out and about. 

5. I cut back on takeaways

This was one of the harder ones for myself as at one point I was ordering 3-4 takeaways a week! I've now cut this down to just one every Saturday as a treat but I think I could cut it down to once a month if I really put my mind to it. I think I'd enjoy it even more then too! If you're a takeaway junkie you may find it difficult to cut it out straight away but it is an easy way to save a lot of money each month.

6. Went on a shopping ban

I had put myself on a shopping ban and stopped buying myself clothes and decided not to buy anything for the house. I am really bad for browsing eBay or if something catches my eye on Instagram then I always buy it. 

7. Meal planned and stopped wasting food

I started meal planning again which has helped me not throw away so much food at the end of the week. Also because I'm not ordering takeaways as often I'm actually eating what I have in the fridge. I really want to get more strict with meal planning and actually use up what I already have in the cupboard and freezer.

8. I didn't do a food shop one week

Instead of doing my usual food shop to be delivered every Sunday I went to the shop and stocked up on milk, bread and some vegetables and used up everything else I already had in fridge and freezer. That week I only spent £10 on the food shop instead of £50 which went straight into my savings. 

9. Mystery shopping

I did a mystery shop and was able to buy some snacks and frozen meals to try out which saved me money. I also got paid to do this shop. Mystery shopping is great if you can get supermarket tasks as you can try out some products you wouldn't usually buy. MarketForce and GrassRoots are great companies to get started with and I'd also recommend signing up to The Mystery Dining Company.

10. Cut down on fizzy drinks

I am a huge fizzy drink addict and would usually drink around 2-3 cans of Dr Pepper a day. I have drastically cut down over the past few months and now only have 1 can a day and some days go without. 

11. Stopped eating out

In February I spent £380 on eating out! Sounds a lot doesn't it! I can't believe I was spending that much on top of the weekly shop. This included about 2-3 Macdonalds a week and we went out for food once a week costing around £50 a time. I decided to not eat out on the day we usually did and we would opt for a pizza at home or sandwiches instead. I have got better at eating lunch at home now which saves me a lot of money and I will only eat out as a treat from now on. Eating out can be expensive! 

12. Lowered my car insurance and sky bill 

I have recently reduced my car insurance, gas & electric and Sky bill saving me £150 a month so I put that straight into my savings pot on payday. It's worth phoning up your insurance company and see if they can offer you a better deal.

Saving can be a challenge for some, especially if they are impulsive buyers. However by making a few sacrifices you can really save if you put your mind to it. I know that it will be worthwhile in the end so if it means a few years of cutting down on takeaways, eating out less and not buying any more furniture for the house I can deal with that! 

Do you have any money saving tips to share? Please share in the comments below. 

Like this post? Sign up to our newsletter here for more money saving tips straight to your inbox!

12 comments

  1. It's surprising how much making little changes and cut backs can save you isn't it, I really do think after cutting out the big things the small things you do daily make all the difference. Good luck with your savings goal.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thats brilliant well done! I really need to start reducing my outgoings so these are some great tips! xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are all great ideas of how to save money. I find taking a lunch is a huge money saver.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Well done on saving so much! It's amazing how much goes on eating out and takeaways. I've always taken a packed lunch for work, and try to eat at home, it all adds up. Good luck with getting your deposit together xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. such good ideas. I find that doing a week where we just eat what is in the house is a great idea too! x

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are some great tips on how to save money. The little things really add up!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow! I'm really impressed. I could do a lot of these things.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So impressed with your savings, and this new blog is fantastic x

    ReplyDelete
  9. I signed up for the mystery shopping years ago but I was never confident enough to try it. I am still getting emails now. Great savings. I am bad at saving.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Some great tips on here. We're trying to reduce our outgoings at the moment so we can save towards buying our first home! xo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I need to get hold of sky and ask if we can have a better tarrif as our bill keeps going up. I need to save at the moment to keep an emergency fund really x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good on you, that's brilliant going. I find the local Facebook selling sites great for making money from things we no longer need or just lying around the house. We've made a few hundred pounds that way. I also try to do the no food shopping one week a month too, it's amazing how easy it is to pull meals together from what you already have in the house, and the savings are quite noticeable. Good luck with your savings mission. x

    ReplyDelete